Who, age What Where When Last Known Address
Bryson Apo, 31 (1) HPD officer gave advance notice to operators of cockfighting ring

Honolulu, HI

Honolulu County

December 16, 2004 Kaneohe, HI
Kevin Brunn, 47 (1) Police officer involved in cockfighting

Honolulu, HI

Honolulu County

March 31, 2005 Wahiaiawa, HI
John Edwin Cambra, III (2) Father of HPD officer charged with hiding cockfighting gaffs during FBI search of his home Waialua, HI June 21, 2005 Kaneoho, HI
John Edwin Cambra, IV (2) HPD officer charged with hiding cockfighting gaffs during FBI search of his home Waialua, HI June 21, 2005 Kaneohe, HI
Charles Gilman, 51 (1) conspiring to conduct an illegal gambling business involving cockfighting

Waialua, HI

Honolulu County

November 2004  
Charles Gilman, 52 (1) Police officers involved in cockfighting

Honolulu, HI

Honolulu County

April 5, 2005  
Douglas Gilman Sr., 69 (1) promoting gambling and owning an illegal business

Waialua, HI

Honolulu County

Douglas Gilman Sr., 68 (1) promoting gambling

Waialua, HI

Honolulu County

Douglas Gilman Sr., 79(1) conspiring to conduct an illegal gambling business involving cockfighting

Waialua, HI

Honolulu County

November 2004  
Douglas Gilman, Jr, 56 (1) conspiring to conduct an illegal gambling business involving cockfighting

Waialua, HI

Honolulu County

November 2004  
William Gilman, 50 (1) conspiring to conduct an illegal gambling business involving cockfighting

Waialua, HI

Honolulu County

November 2004  
Glenn Miriam (1) HPD Narcotics Vice Officer gave advance notice to operators of cockfighting ring

Honolulu, HI

Honolulu County

March 2005  
John Saguibo (1) conspiring to conduct an illegal gambling business involving cockfighting

Waialua, HI

Honolulu County

November 2004  
Micha Terragna,42 (1) wife of police officer Kevin Brunn,conspires to conduct an illegal gambling business involving cockfighting

Honolulu, HI

Honolulu County

March 31, 2005 Wahiaiawa, HI
Type of Crime Other Crimes #/Type of animal(s) involved Case Status Next Court Date /Courthouse
Felony illegal gambling, extortion, conspiracy birds

(1) Convicted

(2) Dismissed


The homes of several Honolulu police officers were raided as part of a federal gambling investigation that alleges the officers helped set up and protect illegal cockfights and other gambling games in exchange for things of value, said a law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation.

The FBI is leading the probe and no arrests have been made, said the official, who asked not to be identified because the investigation is ongoing.

Honolulu Police Department Capt. Frank Fujii said Chief Boisse Correa knows of an investigation but will not comment now.

The officers allegedly helped to facilitate and protect large cockfighting derbies that regularly occur on O'ahu. Other forms of gambling, like card and dice games, are set up at the derbies.

At least four officers' homes were searched, including a member of the department's gambling detail, an officer stationed in Wahiawa and two officers with the District 4 (Windward O'ahu) Crime Reduction Unit.

FBI Special Agent Arnold Laanui acknowledged that the FBI served search warrants but declined further comment.

Three officers have been placed on leave by the department because of the investigation, said Lt. Alex Garcia, O'ahu chapter chairman of the State of Hawaii Organization of Police Officers.

"As with any other union member, SHOPO will be acting to protect everyone's contractual rights and benefits," said Garcia. "If officers are convicted of criminal violations, then they will face a just punishment. Until then, they are all innocent until proven guilty and should be afforded the same rights and respect afforded every other citizen and union member."

The Honolulu Police Commission was informed of the investigation by Correa.  "The only thing that we know is that an investigation is ongoing by the federal authorities but because of the confidential nature of the investigation, the department was unable to disclose any information," said Ron Taketa, chairman of the commission.

Update 6/3/05:  Federal agents searched the home of a Honolulu police officer for a second time last week, confiscating a cache of firearms.

FBI Special Agent Arnold Laanui confirmed that agents executed a search warrant last week but declined further comment. Agents confiscated the officer's weapons May 23, after receipts taken from the officer's home during a March search indicated he had a large gun collection.

SHOPO O'ahu Chapter chairman Lt. Alex Garcia said a grievance has been filed on behalf of the officers. He said the matter is set for a hearing.

Update 1/11/06:  A police union official estimates that the Honolulu Police Department has spent about a quarter of a million dollars to pay five officers who were placed on paid leave nine months ago pending an FBI investigation into illegal cockfighting operations.

HPD officials could not comment on the case because it is ongoing, but did confirm that the situation involving more than half a year of paid leave is unprecedented.

"When the officers were placed on this leave status, it was never expected for it to be this long," Chief Boisse Correa said through a spokeswoman.

An official for the State of Hawaii Organization of Police Officers said by averaging what the officers make over the nine-month period, he estimates they have received about a quarter of a million dollars to not come to work.

"We're glad they're getting paid ... but with our current budget condition it seems quite a waste to spend approximately $250,000 over nine months because of gossip and innuendo," said Detective Alex Garcia, SHOPO Oahu Chapter chairman.

"We find it terribly disappointing that our officers remain in political limbo instead of providing the service to the community that they are being paid to perform."

One officer who was under investigation has since retired, according to police sources.

The 28-year veteran had last been assigned to the Criminal Intelligence Unit prior to retiring on Sept. 30. HPD officials did not confirm that the officer retired but said only that he was no longer with the department.

HPD placed the CIU officer and four others on paid administrative leave about nine months ago while the FBI investigated whether the officers were involved in accepting payoffs from illegal cockfighting operations on the North Shore.

FBI agents raided the homes of the five officers and a relative of one of the officers on March 31 and April 6 as part of the investigation.

None of the officers involved has been arrested or charged with any crimes.

A source close to the investigation said one of the officers involved allegedly accepted a payoff from a confidential FBI informant.  Honolulu FBI spokesman Tony Lang declined to comment on the investigation.

Update 4/7/06:  Three Honolulu police officers allegedly conspired with a large landowning family on the North Shore to operate an illegal gambling business -- cockfighting, craps and card games -- across from Waialua Elementary School, according to a federal indictment.

Photo's courtesy of the Honolulu Advertiser

In a six-count indictment filed in U.S. District Court, Sgt. Kevin Brunn of the Wahiawa District, Officer Bryson Apo of the Kaneohe District and officer Glenn Miram, a seven-year veteran assigned to the Narcotics Vice Division, are accused of conspiracy and of obstructing law enforcement, enabling the illegal gambling business to operate.

Brunn and Micha Terragna are also charged in the indictment with three counts of extorting money from Charles Gilman, alleged operator of the cockfights, in exchange for warning them of impending raids by the Police Department's gambling detail. The indictment says Brunn, a 21-year police veteran, allegedly used threats such as saying Gilman was not in prison because of Brunn's efforts.

The charges come nearly a year after FBI agents searched the homes of at least six police officers in Windward and Central Oahu as part of an investigation into illegal cockfighting. They seized computers, files and other records.

Over a period from November 2004 to March 2005, the allegedly gambling operation involved cockfighting, craps and card games that generated gross revenues in excess of $2,000 in a single day, according to the indictment.


Photo's courtesy of the Honolulu Advertiser

Charged with count one of the conspiracy were Douglas Gilman Sr. and sons Douglas Gilman Jr., Charles Gilman and William Gilman, all of Waialua; John Saguibo, a Waialua resident who operated the cockfights that offered cockfighting, craps and card games; and Micha Terragna, who has children from Brunn.

Also charged with obstructing law enforcement were Charles Gilman and Saguibo.

According to the indictment, Apo, an officer with the Windward crime reduction unit, told Charles Gilman on Dec. 16 that the gambling sergeant had told him that the police gambling detail would "hit Waianae tomorrow" -- ensuring that the Waialua cockfight would not be busted.

On Jan. 16, 2005, Apo notified Gilman to "shut down" the Waialua cockfight and that he got the tip "straight from the horse's mouth."

Later, on Jan. 30, Apo told Saguibo that the sergeant of the gambling detail had an officer parked across the street from the Waialua cockfights but that police would not be returning to the cockfights.

Then, on March 19, 2005, Apo contacted Miram to find out where police planned to "raid." Miram allegedly told him that police would "bang Waialua tomorrow." Apo also provided Miram with Saguibo's "push to talk" number.

According to the indictment, Brunn and Terragna allegedly received a total of $3,600 from Gilman between January and February 2005.

Apo's attorney, assistant federal defender Alexander Silvert, said his client is expected to plead not guilty at his upcoming court appearance.

Silvert said he had not seen the indictment, but was notified later by federal prosecutors that they had issued a penal summons for his client to self-surrender.  "As a former police officer, of course my client is not going to run, he's not a danger and he's willing to surrender," Silvert said.

Apo, who spent eight years with the Police Department, voluntarily resigned after HPD began its own internal investigation, Silvert said.

According to city prosecutors, the senior Gilman has four felony convictions, including promoting gambling and owning an illegal business in 1994, and promoting gambling in 1993.

The Gilman Estate is one of the major landowners in Waialua and owns the only shopping center in the former sugar mill town.

Update 4/21/06:  A massive two-year FBI investigation that produced indictments charging more than 35 people with cockfighting, gambling, extortion and drug offenses began when a confidential informant told authorities that the home of an FBI secretary was used as a "stash house" for drugs, according to court documents recently unsealed.

The documents reviewed include affidavits by FBI agents alleging a wide range of criminal activity and explaining the need for wiretaps to get information that would not be otherwise available. The FBI at one point said it did not believe that undercover officers could be used because of one drug defendant's "probable tight-knit law enforcement contacts."

The documents show that at least 10 phones were tapped, including the cell phones of Bryson Apo , a Honolulu police officer; James Rodenhurst, a Honolulu Liquor Commission inspector supervisor; and Herbert Naone, head of security at Aloha Stadium. All three were charged in the indictments.

The transcripts of the phone taps were not released. Defense attorneys are expected to receive those portions dealing with their clients later.

The papers provide a broad outline of what is believed to be the most wide-ranging investigation here by federal authorities in years. Four other police officers were also named in the indictments, but court cases asking for permission from federal judges to wiretap individuals mention at least three other officers and five Liquor Commission employees who have not been charged.

The telephone of Charmaine Moniz, the former FBI secretary, was not tapped, according to the documents, but an FBI affidavit said the investigation started in March 2004 when she was suspected of providing confidential law enforcement information to her husband, Eric Moniz, and to other suspected North Shore drug dealers.

A confidential source that month said the Moniz home was used by Damien Kalei Hina as a "stash house" for Hina's drugs. The source also said Eric Moniz and Hina believed the house would be safe because Charmaine Moniz would learn of any raids and because the place, given her employment, would be "beyond suspicion," according to the FBI affidavit.

The FBI later learned Charmaine Moniz researched known drug dealers in FBI files, the affidavit said.  She also researched herself, her husband and other relatives, the document said.

Her computer terminal was placed under surveillance, but firing her would hamper efforts to break up Hina's drug enterprise, the affidavit said in explaining why the FBI wanted to tap Hina's cell phone.

Charmaine Moniz admitted on Dec. 21, 2004, she made unauthorized inquiries into the FBI computer and she was placed on administrative leave, the affidavit said.

The Moniz home in Waialua was searched that day, and about 8 grams of crystal methamphetamine was seized, according to the court papers.

The FBI also executed 24 other search warrants that day and the next two days, seizing 10 pounds each of crystal methamphetamine and cocaine, more than 1,000 tablets of the drug ecstasy, more than 3 pounds of marijuana, steroids, human growth hormone, firearms and about $100,000 in cash, according to the documents.

Charmaine Moniz, her husband and Hina, described as a leader of a North Shore drug ring, were charged in one of the indictments with plotting to distribute methamphetamine.

The files indicate the FBI received permission to tap Hina's cell phone in June 2004, and evidence gathered in that case led to wiretaps to expand the investigation.

According to the files, the FBI received authorization to tap Naone's cell phone in July 2004; a Liquor Commission cell phone, issued to Rodenhurst, in August 2004; and Apo's cell phone in December 2004.

At least three officers who were not charged were mentioned in the FBI affidavits. The FBI affidavits said a source indicated one officer was seen buying ice; another officer provided a drug defendant with information; and a third arrested two cockfighters, but not a drug defendant who acted as a referee.

The FBI affidavit seeking permission to tap Rodenhurst's phone refers to five Liquor Commission employees, one identified by a nickname. The document alleges two were believed to be extorting bar owners, another was believed to be assisting Rodenhurst with extorting a nightclub, a fourth is someone Rodenhurst trusted and would assist him in extorting bars, and the fifth assisted Rodenhurst in protecting a bar from the Liquor Commission's enforcement of liquor laws.

Naone was placed on paid vacation this week at his request while state and stadium officials decide his status.

An FBI affidavit describes him as "a mentor in drug trafficking organizations" who has "provided assistance and law enforcement intelligence to those organizations."  He is charged with Rodenhurst in one of the indictments with extorting the owner of two nightclubs.

Naone's lawyer, Chris Evans, said his client knows a lot of people, but is not a drug adviser. Evans also said law enforcement has sought information from Naone "because of the people that he knows."  Evans quoted Naone as saying: "I've never advised people regarding drugs."

Rodenhurst's lawyer, Myles Breiner, said he and his client "vehemently" deny the allegations in the affidavits.

Alexander Silvert, first assistant federal public defender, who represents Apo, said he knew his client's phone was tapped, but Silvert said he doesn't have anything else to say at this point.  Silvert, though, said he was mistaken earlier when he said his client had resigned from the police force. Apo is on administrative leave like the four other officers charged in the case.

The investigation could have far-reaching effects beyond the criminal cases.

The announcement of indictments against the five officers prompted Honolulu Police Chief Boisse Correa to say an internal investigation will expand to officers not charged in the indictments. He said any officer associated with activities in the case would be investigated.

Dewey Kim Jr., who was appointed administrator for the Liquor Commission earlier this month, said the commission would cooperate with federal authorities and his No. 1 priority would be to rid the commission of any wrongdoing.

The officers and others named in the 10 indictments have been appearing in court to plead not guilty. Some have been ordered held without bail.

Apo and officers Kevin Brunn and Glenn Miram are charged with plotting to protect a cockfight and gambling operation in Waialua. Officer John Cambra IV is charged with hiding a cockfight gaff, and officer Barry Tong with illegal possession of a machine gun.

  Photo's courtesy of  Cindy Ellen Russell/the Star Bulletin

Two Honolulu police officers pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court to charges in separate indictments that resulted from an FBI investigation targeting illegal gambling and crystal methamphetamine distribution on the North Shore.

Neither officer is charged in connection with illegal gambling or drug activities.

However, John Edwin Cambra IV is accused in an April 6 indictment, along with his father, John Edwin Cambra III, with concealing cockfighting metal spurs from the FBI during a search of their family's Kaneohe home in June 2005.

Barry Tong, a 21-year veteran of the department with the Windward Crime Reduction Unit, is accused of possessing an unregistered Israeli Military Industries machine gun.

Defense attorney Joaquim Cox said the FBI had searched Tong's home and found no evidence tying him to any of the illegal cockfighting, gambling or drug activities that others in separate indictments had been charged with. It was during a second search of the home that the FBI seized the firearm, which was part of Tong's gun collection, he said.

Both officers were allowed to remain free after each signed a $25,000 bond.

  Photo's courtesy of the Star Bulletin Also pleading not guilty were Douglas Gilman Sr. and son Doug Gilman Jr. Both had been indicted on charges of operating an illegal cockfight operation for several years on family land across from Waialua Elementary School.  They were released pending trial after each signed a $25,000 bond.

Eric "Babu" Moniz, husband of an FBI secretary who leaked sensitive information to drug dealers, also pleaded not guilty to charges in a second indictment accusing him of selling "ice" to undercover FBI agents.

He was initially charged in an April 6 indictment with providing the information supplied by his wife to members of a drug ring.

Update 12/15/06:  One of three Honolulu policemen indicted for allegedly warning operators of a Waialua gambling business of impending police raids has pleaded guilty.

Glenn Miram, a seven-year veteran of the Honolulu Police Department who resigned several weeks ago, entered into a plea agreement with federal prosecutors. He pleaded guilty to conspiring to and obstructing law enforcement to help the gambling business, which included cockfighting, craps and card games.

In documents filed in federal court, Miram said he is guilty of conspiring with fellow officers Kevin Brunn, and Bryson Apo.

Miram also admitted to co-conspiring with Charles Gilman, owner of the Waialua site, and others.

Attorney William Harrison said his client chose to plead guilty rather than put his family through a trial.  "He obviously is contrite," he said. "He is the first one of the police officers that has taken responsibility, and I think that says a lot for his character."

Miram, who spent the last 2 1/2 years with the Narcotics Vice Division, said that on March 19, 2005, he provided information on the gambling detail's operations to Apo and John Saguibo, "knowing that they were using this information to evade law enforcement efforts at the Waialua cockfights."

Miram acknowledged he contacted Apo by cell phone, then called John Saguibo and said that police would be at the Waialua cockfights.

"He admitted to making one call ... at the behest of a co-defendant police officer to John Saguibo," Harrison said. "He took responsibility for that one phone call and acknowledged he should not have made that one phone call and given John Saguibo that information."

Given the nature of his conduct and coming forward and acknowledging his complicity, "he has an excellent chance of avoiding jail time," Harrison said.

The U.S. Attorney agreed to ask for a one-level sentencing reduction. He faces up to five years' imprisonment, a $250,000 fine and two years' supervised release.

Miram is scheduled to be sentenced April 2 by federal Judge Susan Mollway.

Update 2/20/07:  Bryson Apo is the second police officer to plead guilty in the case. Co-defendant Glenn Miram is awaiting sentencing after admitting his guilt in December.

Apo is to be sentenced in May. The conspiracy charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison.

The case against the officers stemmed from an internal FBI investigation of one of its employees. The probe led to five federal indictments naming 23 defendants.

Update 2/22/07:  A Waialua man admits he paid off the girlfriend of a Honolulu police officer because he feared possible shutdown of his illegal gambling business that included cockfights, card games and craps on family property in Waialua.

"I was running the Waialua cockfights, and I was paying Micha Terragna weekly," Charles Gilman told U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry Kurren.

Gilman, 51, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to two charges stemming from drug and gambling conspiracies uncovered by a wiretap investigation in the rural North Shore town.

In a plea agreement, Gilman admitted that he operated the illegal business on family land across from Waialua Elementary School along with his father, Douglas Gilman Sr., and his brothers Douglas Gilman Jr. and William Gilman.

He also admitted that Terragna was his "partner" in the Waialua cockfights that netted in excess of $2,000 on any single day.

The wiretaps caught conversations between Saguibo, Gilman and Apo about what happened at the cockfights, including the number of fights and number of draws, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Florence Nakakuni.

There were also calls between Gilman and Saguibo and Saguibo and Terragna regarding payments to her and Brunn, Nakakuni said.

According to the plea agreement, Gilman admitted that he paid Brunn and Terragna about $700 to $1,000 a week during the cockfighting season from November 2004 through March 2005.

Gilman admitted to paying Terragna, who lived with Brunn and has three children from him, because he believed Brunn was responsible for his not being in jail on drug charges and because Brunn threatened to "shut down" the cockfights unless he and Terragna were paid, the plea agreement said.

Gilman has state felony convictions in 1994 and 1995 involving drugs.

In the drug conspiracy, Gilman admitted to conspiring with co-defendants Keele Vesnefski, Ahisa Kaluhiokalani and others to distribute three pounds of crystal methamphetamine, or "ice."

As part of the plea agreement, Gilman has agreed to cooperate with investigators and testify if required against any co-defendants in any criminal or civil proceedings.

Gilman was allowed to remain free on bail until his sentencing July 12 before Chief U.S. District Judge Helen Gillmor. He faces a maximum life term for the drug charges and up to five years for the gambling offenses.

Miram and Apo pleaded guilty earlier to their roles in the gambling conspiracy and will be sentenced in April and May, respectively.

Update 6/14/07:  Bryson Apo, 31, a former Honolulu police officer was sentenced by federal Judge Susan Oki Mollway to 18 months in prison for leaking sensitive information about the police department's gambling detail to protect a cockfighting operation near Waialua Elementary School from November 2004 to March 2005.

He will begin serving his sentence on August 1st.

Former police officer Glen Miram and Charles Gilman pleaded guilty on December 14th, 2006, and February 22nd, 2007, respectively, and sentencing for both is pending.

Update 12/20/08:  A federal jury found a former Honolulu Police Department officer, his wife and three others guilty for their roles in a case involving cockfighting, gambling, obstruction and extortion.

Former Wahiawa patrol sergeant Kevin Brunn, 47, was convicted of conspiracy to obstruct law enforcement with the intent to facilitate an illegal gambling operation in Waialua that ran from 2003 to 2005.

He was also convicted of conspiracy to extort property from an owner of the gambling business and four counts of extorting money from the business. He could be sentenced to up to 20 years' imprisonment for the extortion counts and five years for obstruction.

Douglas Gilman Sr., 79, and his sons, Douglas Jr., 56, and William, 50, were found guilty of conspiring to conduct an illegal gambling business involving cockfighting, dice and card games held at a property across from Waialua Elementary School. They face up to five years in prison for each count.

Brunn's wife, Micha Terragna, 42, was convicted of conspiring to conduct the gambling business with the Gilmans, conspiracy to obstruct law enforcement, and four counts of extorting money from the business. She could get up to 20 years for the extortion counts, five years for gambling and gambling conspiracy and five years for obstruction of law enforcement.

The eight-week trial ended with all the defendants resting after federal prosecutors had presented their case.

"We did not put on a case because we didn't believe the government met its burden of proof," said Pamela Tamashiro, attorney for defendant Douglas Gilman Sr., 79. She added they relied on their tough cross-examination of the government's witness, Charles Gilman, her client's other son.

Tamashiro said Charles cut a deal with the government "to escape liability for his drug dealing," and "sold his soul to the government to avoid a life sentence," testifying against his father and two brothers.

Charles Gilman admitted last year he ran the cockfights and paid off Terragna to avoid a possible shutdown of the gambling business. He pleaded guilty to two charges stemming from drug and gambling conspiracies.

Brunn, who was employed as a police officer at the time of the illegal gambling, left HPD last year after 23 years.

Honolulu Police Chief Boisse Correa said "HPD fully cooperated with federal investigators from the start."

"The conviction closes a dark chapter in HPD history," he said.

Former HPD officers Glenn Miram and Bryson Apo had already pleaded guilty to charges they gave advance notice to the Waialua operators of raids by the gambling detail.

Douglas Gilman Jr. and Sr. will be sentenced April 6. William Gilman will be sentenced April 20. Brunn and Terragna's sentencing is set for April 13.

The federal investigation into the gambling operation resulted from wiretapping of a drug investigation of John Saguibo, another defendant who pleaded guilty in the gambling case.


Honolulu Advertiser Star Bulletin